In the past, fleet managers found it hard to monitor the hours of service for commercial vehicle drivers while on the road. But thanks to technology, their work has been made easier since they can now monitor all activities on the road by using an electronic logging device (ELD).
An ELD is a gadget attached to the commercial motor vehicle’s engine to detect the driver’s hours spent on the road. This has not only promoted safety while on the road but also has identified bad and unwanted driving habits.
Installation of an electronic logging device can be challenging for most newbies. This is why we are going to look at the installation and uses of ELDs.
Installation of an Electronic Logging Device
Installing an ELD is quick and easy. All you need is to follow these steps.
- Identify the vehicle diagnostics port – Its location will depend on the type of vehicle; some have it on the right or left side of the pedals, while others under the dash or steering column.
- Attach the device to the vehicle diagnostics port – If the device automatically fits in the vehicle diagnostics port, press the collar hard and rotate it clockwise until it clicks. When purchasing an electronic logging device, it is best if you go with the one that fits well with your vehicle diagnostics port for easy installation.
- Pair it with your tablet or smartphone – Once you have successfully connected, you can now pair it with the device of your choice. You will need to have software or an app to pair and view the dashboard on your mobile phone or app.
Uses of an Electronic Logging Device
ELDs have brought positive changes in drivers’ performance while on the road. Here are some of the uses of this technology.
- Location tracking – Once the electronic logging device has been attached to the commercial vehicle engine, fleet managers get to monitor the location of the vehicle at all times. Location tracking has helped drivers increase their performance since they know they are being monitored continuously.
- Route planning – ELDs enable fleet managers to schedule convenient routes for drivers to follow. Furthermore, the devices can assist drivers in locating nearby fuel stations. Hence, this saves time and improves performance.
- Increasing accuracy – Every driver needs to fully concentrate on the road to promote accuracy and safety. An electronic logging device promotes safety by automatically sending data to the fleet manager, hence improving efficiency and time management. On top of that, the device can detect previous transactions, which enables the fleet manager to monitor the gains and losses of the fleet.
- Promoting safety while on the road – ELDs promote safety by providing information on speed, engine diagnostics, and directions, and these devices inform drivers when their shift is about to end. With the data, the fleet manager may be able to determine whether the driver was speeding excessively, taking wasteful detours, or violating driving hours.
- Identifying bad driving behavior – Bad driving behavior can be the main cause of losses in a fleet company. An electronic logging device will help the fleet manager identify bad driving habits such as unnecessary idling and excessive speeding. Then, managers can later communicate with drivers to come up with lasting solutions.
ELDs have surely changed how fleet managers monitor drivers while on the road. If you are ready to witness positive changes in your fleet, it is time you think of installing these devices.