The White House says China has been working on a balloon surveillance initiative in recent years “which it has used to violate the sovereignty of the United States and more than 40 countries on five continents,” National Security Council spokeswoman Adrienne Watson said in a statement. On Sunday, the Chinese government said the US illegally launched more than 10 balloons into its airspace last year. The Biden administration denied this accusation. “Any claim that the US government is using surveillance balloons over the PRC is false,” Watson said in a statement.
“With a balloon in early February, the US caught China with its hands in a notorious cookie jar and made the decision to go public,” says Jake Williams, a former National Security Administration hacker and Institute for Applied Research analyst. Network security. “There is probably a lot of statecraft going on in the background, either as a result of the decision to publicly acknowledge the first hot air balloon, or as a result of the decision itself. As a rule, yes, everything changes when the subject of surveillance learns that he is being monitored. ”
The Biden administration has come under fire from some Republican lawmakers and others for being slow to shoot down a Chinese spy balloon and being hesitant to reveal specific details about three other UFOs taken out in recent days. (U.S. officials have said that shooting down a balloon above the ground would pose an unacceptable risk due to falling debris.) Still, RAND’s Tannehill says it’s difficult from an investigative standpoint to handle so many cases at once.
“The White House oscillates between being quick to act and getting the facts right,” Tannehill says. “Until the path is analyzed, we are guessing who launched them. A public misrepresentation of the facts would seriously damage the credibility of the United States.” She adds that Saturday’s incapacitated UFO, which also flew over Canadian airspace, “brings another NATO country into the discussion, and it becomes a NATO issue, not just the US or NORAD,” the North American Air Command said in a statement. space defense.
The US Department of Defense announced the object shot down on Sunday over Lake Huron. said in a statement: “We have not assessed it as a kinetic military threat to anything on the ground, but have assessed it as a threat to flight safety and a threat due to its potential surveillance capabilities. Our team will now work on restoring the facility to find out more.”
Oh, and if you’re still insisting that this flurry of aerial activity is alien-related, the White House is here to burst your bubble: “I know there have been questions and concerns about this,” – White House Press Secretary Karin. Jean-Pierre said at a press conference yesterday: “But there is, again, no sign of aliens or extraterrestrial activity in these recent showdowns.” Gen. Glen VanHerke, commander of Air Force Northern Command, added during a press conference on Sunday: “I’m not ruling anything out at the moment.”